Sunday, February 26, 2012

Where is my recess?

Where is my recess? After reading about the condition in the parents 4 year old class, I was taken back a bit. Most of the preschool, in the local area, focus on play and social building. There is a preschool in Hilo that I know has the same type of goals the preschool this child went to. I had an employee tell me how other preschool were not preparing children for Kindergarten and how the children would not be "Kindergarten ready." Ah, Why do you have to know everything to start Kindergarten? Wasn't Kindergarten the place for starting and building? I do notice in Hilo children are getting shorter and shorter out doors time? I know a big reason is the rain.  I have been at places who give their children an hour fifteen outside and others give their children twenty minutes. At least their children are getting outside, right? I believe if these children were allowed to play longer outside they would have less behavior issues in the classroom. But really, Where is the recess going?


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica!

    I agree. Why do children have to know everything in order to succeed in Kindergarten? Do you feel that having shorter amounts of recess time has a direct correlation to why children aren't "kindergarten ready?" That seems like such a huge difference in scheduling...an hour and fifteen minutes to twenty minutes for outdoor time. Is there anything that can done to be more consistent throughout program scheduling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess,
    And why can't children go outside in the rain? My two-year-old daughter often plays in the rain -- she puts on her boots and her coat and goes exploring. Has safety and protection become how we determine play? How might this limit play?

    There are several resources discussing this -- check these out -- http://www.cbf.org/page.aspx?pid=687 ; http://richardlouv.com/books/last-child/children-nature-movement/ -- these discussions place a child's relationship with nature as paramount.

    How might a teacher create spaces for children to develop relationships with nature? Has a governmental idea like "readiness" placed relationship to the margin, focusing on unrealistic academic goals? How might a teacher disrupt these silly readiness practices in order to better respond to the needs of the child?

    I am going to post some outdoor school videos in announcements in Laulima - check them out.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess,
    Funny you mentioned about playing outdoor, how gets shorter and shorter due to circumstances. I agree it seems like it’s been that way for the pass couple weeks in Hilo. How might you provide an environment when circumstances (like rain) occur in your program? Do you allow rain to damper your abilities to teach? How might you change your plans and modify it to support children’s learning? In our afternoon program we spend majority of our time outdoors and I am so glad you are an advocate for outdoor play. I am very excited and I look forward to meeting you on Monday.
    :0) Aloha,
    ~Rowena

    ReplyDelete